Thursday, July 4, 2013

Freedom from Obesity

Today is a day of celebration in the United States, as we celebrate freedom and independence...my celebration is a different one, with tomorrow being 4 weeks since my Gastric Sleeve surgery.  Truth be told, the boyfriend and I aren't fans of large crowds, heat, traffic, waiting, etc. - living in the D.C. metro area means that we're staying indoors and watching fireworks on TV this year!  (Although, we plan to take one of the D.C. boat cruises next year to watch the fireworks from there!)

Instead?  I'm celebrating my freedom from obesity - because I will not be "obese" by the time 'Merica's next birthday comes around.

My weight has been stalled for quite awhile now and my brain is having a REALLY hard time with that.  I thought I had broken the stall last week when the scale went down, but it sharply went back up and I've been hovering between the same 2 pounds for what feels like eons.  Despite doing everything I'm supposed to do nutritionally, I hadn't begun any sort of working out - I was using the "not consuming enough calories to work out" excuse.  Today?  I decided to jump onto the treadmill I own and never use.  After telling the 'mill I wanted to do the "Weight Loss 1" workout, which incorporates the dumbbells it came with and lasts for 30 minutes, I popped my ear buds in and started to jam to tunes, feeling good about getting into my groove.

Around minute 14, after adjusting to automated and rising inclines and speeds, my vision went blurry and I started to get dizzy.  I decided to push through to the 15 minute mark and stopped.

Thought you were healed enough to work out?!  Think again!! 

Although it will take months to heal my stomach (not even on solid foods yet!), my head knows that my body will need time to adjust to any intense workout.  I still feel somewhat like an epic fail for not completing the 30 minutes I set out to do, but, if nothing else, I've learned over the last 4 weeks to listen to my body.  I feel good about what I'm putting into my body, and I have to respect when my body is done with it's first post-op workout after 15 minutes.

So, here I sit with my 2nd protein shake of the day, happily sipping to restore some calories and fluids into my body.  No hot dogs, BBQ or beer for me this year...but it is truly a day of celebration as I continue to work on my freedom from obesity!

1 comment:

  1. A great goal-- looking a year ahead gives you lots of time to make a difference.
    Congrats on being on your way!

    ReplyDelete