Sunday, April 15, 2012

Who wants some chicken!?

Years ago I was on a dangerous diet called "Kimkins" - this variation of Atkins, essentially, let you eat as much protein as you wanted - bacon, ham, you name it.  I spent most Sundays baking up chicken breasts, then slicing/portioning them down into baggies that were easy to take on the go as snacks.  Although I saw progress on that diet, it was one of many failed, unhealthy attempts to learn how to do this for the long haul.  On top of that, I got sick of chicken.  Like, really sick of chicken.  As such, I haven't been a fan of chicken in a long, long time.

As a flashback to that, though, I decided to bake up some chicken breasts that were leftover from the week's menus at Casa de Joia - I had two, ginormous breasts leftover that I seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic salt, then stuck them in the freezer at the time (didn't need them for the recipe I was making).  Baked them up today, sliced 'em up, then portioned them out into Ziploc snack bags after carefully weighing out 4oz. of chicken into each bag - great, filling snack for roughly 200 calories!  Now that I've been back to tracking my food, watching calories, etc., I recognized a need for a filling snack with minimal calories and mucho protein - duh, chicken's great for that!

Although...once I finish getting through all these tiny bags o' chicken I have in my fridge, I'll probably be sick of chicken again.  C'est la vie - it'll be a protein-full, healthful week of snacks for me!

3 comments:

  1. Great, It's a very healthy snack. Are you able to eat solids now without a problem? I know you were having alot of problems with your band lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I felt the same way about eating eggs after I did the Atkins diet! It took me years to want to eat eggs again! That is a great easy snack though, so glad you are starting to like it again!

    ReplyDelete