Monday, October 31, 2011

Revise or remove - that is the new question.

After today's barium swallow, it looks like my band has officially - and permanently - slipped.  It didn't move at all from the cock-eyed position it was in three weeks ago when he put me on liquids.  He told me that if it had moved back into position, even the tiniest bit toward normal, he'd have hope to keep me on liquids and see how it heals...tis not the case.  We're chalking it up to the months of neglectful after care I received in California with the ass clown surgery practice.  For those of you keeping band WAS all good to go again in the beginning of September, but apparently the battle with the closed band/dehydration earlier this month was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.  Apparently my September "fix" was really just a temporary relief that my LapBand, stitching and insides couldn't maintain.

My choices now?  Revision surgery or remove the band.  Here's the pro/con list (as I still contemplate):


  1. I'd still have a LapBand.
  2. I KNOW the after care I'd receive from this practice will be good - no more neglect.
  3. I've lost about 120 pounds and have 50-ish left to go...and I know my head isn't ready to take over this journey on it's own, even though my determination says otherwise.
  4. I've been through the surgery before, so I know what to expect post-op.
  5. My LapBand would finally WORK...I'd really like to know what that's like.
  1. I'd never have LapBand/digestion/PB/acid reflux issues again.
  2. The last 50 pounds would be all me (not sure if that's a pro or con...).
  3. I'd never have LapBand/digestion/PB/acid reflux issues again.
  4. I'd really have to put ME to the test - what did I really learn in this journey?
  5. I'd never have LapBand/digestion/PB/acid reflux issues again. - Are you gathering my frustration?
I really don't know which way to go.  The doc is going to have his people look into insurance coverage for me (typically, he says insurances cover this piece - even if they don't cover the original surgery - because it's now a legitimate, digestive-altering, dangerous issue) and he wants me to come back in a week or two to "talk."  I'm sure by "talk" he means "make a decision."  He stressed to me that he didn't want to wait too long on this - at this point, I'm a ticking time bomb.  One wrong food choice, one piece of food not chewed well enough, one morsel swallowed too fast...I'm back to where I was at the beginning of the month with a closed stoma and dehydration from not being able to swallow liquids.  As the doc puts it, we have no cushion - he can't drain my band, as he'd typically do if a patient was too tight, because my band is completely empty. more liquids for me.  Doc says to eat whatever I want, but to focus on SMALL ("and I mean SMALL") portions, chewing vigorously, etc...any irritation to my lopsided band/partially closed stoma will put my ass on an IV (ask my mom - I HATE those) forcing fluids into my body.  Yes, Grandma, I DID tell him about my family's kidney history so he knew not to push it when it comes to dehydration!

Ugh.  Why me?  Have any of you had revision surgery?  Any wisdom to share in my decision making process?


  1. Oh hon - I'm so sorry about this. I hope you reach the decision that is right for you soon! Good luck!

  2. Have you thought about having the band removed and having the Gastric Sleeve surgery done? Jacquie from "Can't Wait to lose it" had issues with her band and our surgeon removed it and did the sleeve surgery all at once. Something to consider!!

  3. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this! I don't have any advice to give you, but I know you will make the right decision for you and will get to your goal either way!

  4. poop. I'm just catching up on blogs... so sorry this is happening! Are you considering the sleeve at all? Kinda sounds like you are leaning towards removal? Keep us posted and I'll try to be a better follower. Hope things get better fast for you :)