Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Moving to Virginia!

What a whirlwind past week it's been...sister got married (only went up 0.6 pounds over the entire three days - not bad!), and I was offered a job with the Virginia Education Association as a UniServ Director in Fairfax!  It's a little insane...I accepted the job Monday morning, went into my work and resigned from my job, headed to my apartment complex office to put in a 30-day notice, reserved a moving truck (full service move - yay!)...and now it's a matter of packing up a classroom I've been in for 8 years and an apartment I've been in for 5 years.  I'm not taking much with me (most of the furniture I own isn't worth hauling across the country), so I've also been listing items on Craigslist and have had a variety of people over to buy and haul out my crap!  Salvation Army truck comes on Saturday to pick up the rest of the stuff I don't want/sell...yeesh.  It's crazy to think that I won't be teaching high school anymore, won't be supervising livestock projects, etc.  It's time for a new adventure!

P.S. I don't think it's really going to "hit me" until I'm actually on the road - driving across country with 2 kitties in my car - in the beginning of July...

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on you new position! I am active in my union (I am a former teacher, currently a school counselor) and I appreciate our uniserv directors so much! Are (were)you an Agriculture teacher? I was teaching Animal Science and Horticulture and advising FFA before I moved on to being a counselor... Best of luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CRAZY! Yeah, I've been an ag teacher/FFA advisor for the past 8 years! Been active in my local and state union for the past 7, now moving on up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new job! Good luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, okay now this is the strange thing- I was an Ag. Teacher for 8 years before moving on as well... I do miss it, but not so much all of the extras that go along with advising FFA and millions of SAE's, all of the prep for the daily labs and multiple preps... I hope you really love your new job and that it is as rewarding as the classroom work has been- being an ag teacher takes a special person with so much talent, you will be a great representative and advocate for your fellow educators! I am on the exec. board of my local association, not sure if I would ever pursue a position that would take me away from the kids completely, but I never say never... Wishing you the best with everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!!! What part of VA?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new job! Welcome to NoVA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys! @Rachel - my job is in Fairfax, VA...right outside of D.C.!

    ReplyDelete