Monday, February 21, 2011

Bat wings...the fix?

Here's my horror.  I wear a bodybugg daily (since I got it for Christmas) and I love the numbers it shows me.  However, it has restricted me from wearing any arm-fitting shirts because of mah bat wings:

Photobucket
(My arm, October 2010...doesn't look much different today.)

Oh yes.  Imagine having that upper tricep pinched by a bodybugg band all day...it's not pretty.  Some of my favorite sweaters have been neglected, hanging lonely in the closet, because I want to wear saggier-sleeved shirts that will hide the double arm that's created by wearing the bodybugg.  Ugh.  Here's what it should look like:

Photobucket
(No, that's not my arm...obviously.)

My question to all of you - will these freakin' bat wings go AWAY?  I'm at 236 pounds now, down from 338 when I started, and I know the fat will go away in it's own time.  I'm definitely smaller, and my bat wings have shrunken...I'm only 30 years old, and I hear that the sagging skin is more likely to shrink up in younger people.  How many of you skinny people still have your wings?  Anyone get surgery to remove them?

The bottom line is that I'm feeling more confident about every other area of my body - I still have curves and bulges, but fitting all of it into a size 18 pants and an XL shirt is a far cry from where I started in a size 28 pants and a 3X shirt.  I feel cute...except for those damn arms.

Funny thing?  When I was younger?  My arms were my FAVE part of my body.  They were constantly tan, toned...I just loved showing them off in tank tops.  I loved summertime when I had an excuse to be out in the sun, wearing a tank top and reveling in the gorgeousness of them.  Now?  I still love tank tops, but they are for lounging around (out of public's view) only.

I miss thin arms :(.

9 comments:

  1. I am interested in reading comments. My bat wings are worse than yours. TERRIBLE. I highly doubt I will ever be able to afford plastic surgery so I will look like a bat forever. I think that once the fat goes away, the arm overall looks smaller. That is my hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh I have the worst arms ever and i'm so self conscious about them!
    I've been frantically trying to tone them up, and you can tell that the muscle is firming but I still have alot of saggy skin
    I'm only 22 and have always had a problem with my arms, but im going to europe in summer and am completely dreading the thought of wearing sleeveless tops

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. Here are my thoughts. I not only had huge batwings thanks to my mothers side of the family, but bc I was 327. I thought I would always have them, that they would never get smaller even if I lost weight. I thought that even if I lost the fat that made them up, I would have the same droop of loose skin. Heather has said from the beginning that if I keep working out, it would tighten up. I didnt really believe her. When the plastic surgeon came to our support group, I asked him what determined if your skin bounced back. He said age, genetics, how much and how fast you lost, and working out...they all play a factor.

    With all that said, amazingly, my bat wings have gotten smaller. I know longer have a large amount of anything that dangles under my tricep area, but I do have it more towards my armpit. I don't know if it will all ever go away, but there is hope. I do work with weights 4-5 times a week though...but it is making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there - I am a new follower - found you via another blog. I just started my journey about a month ago and I am not only concerned about bat wings but also the excess skin on my tummy! Glad to read Amy's comment above!

    www.thebandontherun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does the Bodybugg have to go on the arm? In the Biggest Loser it looks like some of the contestants wear it on their leg. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have small bat wings. I chose not to look at them ~ lol. I don't usually wear tank tops or tank dresses. I also lift weights designed to tone that area, but the loose skin probably can't be toned up too much. I don't think I'm any help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Alan - yeah, it has to go on the left tricep, specifically. I asked in my free "coaching" phone session and they said that's where it's been calibrated to. I haven't compared the accuracy of putting it on my right arm...or any other appendage...because I don't want to lose my accurate count! LOL - guess I'll just be a sheepish follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bestie? Give it time! Some of that will shrink, and it'll take time. exercise and tonight will help too A hundred pounds takes your body a LONG time to adjust to, at least mine did! You've done such an amazing job along your journey and I'm so incredibly proud of you! I miss ya dearly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl - I'm in the SAME DAMN BOAT. I feel like freakin' Batman when my arms flap. Ugh.

    I need to hit the weights. I was so cut in high school. Like "badass" cut. Now, the top is better but the bottom - holy shit.

    ReplyDelete