Sunday, November 14, 2010

Protein IS the key...maybe?

What a weird week it's been for weight loss!  I got down to 245 earlier this week, only to see myself back up at 250 yesterday...then today?  Back down to 247.2.  Seriously, my body's weird.

Although - I think there's a direct correlation here between PROTEIN and weight loss...really.  I know it's not a new concept, but I saw it in action (I think) this week.  Early in the week, when I first started the Holiday Challenge, I recommitted myself (for the billionth time) to doing this thing right.  I had the protein shakes, I monitored calories, etc. - and I was down to 245 by Wednesday.  Confident in the almost 5 pounds lost since Sunday, I slacked on the protein Thursday and Friday...no shake, even though I kept my overall calorie count low.  Frustrated at the 250.0 staring me in the face yesterday, I vowed to be a protein junkie for the day - despite the fact that I had 4 hours on the road with students round trip to an all day meeting.  I had a 17g protein shake for breakfast, a Venti Eggnog Latte from Starbucks after that, a 40g protein shake for lunch, and a piece of pizza and a garlic cheese  bread piece for dinner.  I finished the day with some Crystal Light and headed to bed early.  And, yeah, 247.2 this morning on the scale.  While it's an overall loss of 2.6 for the week, it's 2.8 from yesterday.  Insane...I think this "have at least 65g of protein a day" concept of LapBand rules may hold some merit.

Of course, there are a million reasons why my weight could have fluctuated this week...including the fact that I got both a flu shot and whooping cough shot on Thursday.  But, eh, c'est la vie.  Bring on week two of the challenge, and the 9 more pounds I have to lose before I hit my hundred pound mark!

4 comments:

  1. I notice a huge difference in my weight loss when I get 75 grams a protein a day! I always have a protein shake for breakfast, mainly because I'm so tight in the morning that I can't really eat anything but I can also get in close to 45 grams in my shake. We had the same weight loss this week, too! Keep up the protein progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you. I had a post, months ago and I had the same findings. I lost more weight when I had high protien days. I must try all that again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am gonna try and get my protein back up as well... I have been slacking off as well lately with the protein and even though I've kept my calories low... my weight loss has slowed. I look forward to following your blog. *Maria*-Blogger from "This one time at BAND Camp..." Follow my journey at mybigfatbandgeeklife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The same thing happens to me all the time!! All week long I weighed in at 188 and then on Wednesday (my weigh in date) I assumed I would see 188 like every other day but it was 186! So weird!!

    Protein is def key, you are so right!!

    Breanne
    www.ladylapband.com

    ReplyDelete