Sunday, July 18, 2010

Couch to 5K?

Anyone out there tried this? I've never been one for running, but lately I have an urge to become one...can't define it. Perhaps it's hearing about my sister's running club she's in (Army captains are in good shape), or hearing former Biggest Loser winners Michael and Helen talk about how their emotional eating has been replaced with running? Either way, I thought I'd look into this Couch to 5K thing. I've seen it around the LapBand site, on various blogs, etc., but I never knew there was an actual PLAN involved. I just assumed it was a bunch of people conditioning themselves, on their own schedules, to eventually run a 5K (roughly 3 miles).

Well...TONIGHT...while watching TV and contemplating eating even more food today, and realizing I was just bored and was going to subconsciously use food as a substitute for something to do...I found this:

The Couch to 5K Running Plan

WHAT?!? There's a PLAN?!? I could run three miles in six weeks (incidentally, the exact date of my 30th birthday). Ya kidding me? I do really well with plans - when/if I stick to them! This doesn't look too bad...three times a week?! I can swing it. Who doesn't have time for that?

I know, I know...I've always said I haven't worked regular exercise into my LapBand journey thus far, and part of it is because I didn't have a regular plan...and absolutely no accountability. When the scale still moves, why wear yourself out? So - YOU ALL OUT THERE - are my accountability, got it?

Yup - Workout 1 complete. I huffed, I puffed, I'm still sweating, but I completed the entire thing - no cheating! In theory, I'm gonna go for Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays...we'll see how that works out. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. I love it! I've been doing it on my elliptical just because I don't like the stress of it on my knees but I was able to work up from 20 minuts to 45 minutes and not go into cardiac arrest. I think you'll really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! But listen to your body, especially your knees. It's one of the reasons I picked up cycling: Low impact on the joints. Last summer Idid my first Century (100 mile ride). I hear you on the plan and acccountability too! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love it and it helped me come back to running! I downloaded the app on my iphone and its great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just re-started C25k this week. I had previously done week 1 and week 2...and then got scared that I couldn't go any further, so I quit. I picked it back up again this week from the beginning. This time I'm going to complete the whole thing. I even registered for the 5k Susan G Komen Race for the Cure during the BOOBS weekend. I'm going to be running Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays...just like you! We can be each other's accountability. I'll help you...you help me! Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete