Friday, June 11, 2010

Ripped my port...OUCH!

So that was a fun experience last night...I'm in Los Angeles at the Westin Bonaventure hotel right now for the last CTA State Council session of the year. Eating is still tough (I had a half a yogurt yesterday morning before getting too full and putting it back in the fridge), but I'm really learning the art of taking small bites, chewing my food and choosing healthier foods for myself. Having said that, I got to the point last night where I was STARVING and ordered a quesadilla (cheese only) from the room service menu last night...first few bites were tough, ended up PBing a couple times (I know, not good), but then was able to get the majority of the rest down. Weird how PBing opens up the band, eh? Anyone else have that realization?

Side Note: NO, this is not a good way to eat and NO, I don't normally do this.

The weirdest part of last night, though, is that after the hour of eating to get some food in my system, I laid on my stomach on my plush king sized hotel bed and chatted with my boyfriend on the phone. At one point, I pulled myself up out of bed...felt a rip...followed my excruciating burning/tingling in my port area...OWWW! My boyfriend got to hear my pain on the phone. I finished getting up, felt the port to make sure it was still in place (it was). Over the next 15 minutes - don't know if it was my imagination or not - the port area swelled and became numb. BIZARRE. None of this outstanding in general, but especially for me since I'll be heading out of town for over three weeks on Tuesday...argh!

So I decided to sleep on it and see what happened this morning. Much to my happiness? The numb sensation is gone, the swelling is gone, I can still feel the port where it's supposed to be...there's only a little tenderness a couple of inches to the right of the port when I touch it (yeah, I know - don't touch it then!). I posted on the LapBand Talk board last night asking for anyone who's had the experience - to my surprise, it's happened to another person! I'm going to see how the rest of this weekend goes here in Los Angeles, but I think I'll be okay. I will probably give my doctor's office a call anyway to make sure everything's fine...but since I can still feel the port and the initial "shock" of it all is over...my diagnosis is that I ripped some of the scar tissue that holds the port in place. Obviously, I didn't rip ALL of it - my port would be floating around inside mah body if that were the case! I'm sure the scar tissue will reform...just...WEIRD.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear that! It would have freaked me out something fierce. Glad to hear you are ok, though!

    ReplyDelete