Saturday, May 29, 2010

Things I'm Not Doing Right (according to my doctor)...

I DID end up getting a fill today: after draining the entire band to verify that I had the full 8cc in there I was charted to have, the doc added 1cc more to make a total of 9cc in my 14cc band. I was worried about putting any more fill in and being too tight, but today's been great so far! I treated myself to a frappuccino, had some Spaghetti-O's for lunch (omg yum!) and am having some orange juice now. Not the most nutritional day, for sure, but I splurged because I'm not supposed to eat anything with much substance until 24 hours after my fill. Doc and I had a long conversation about the way I eat before he gave me the fill, because I was waffling back and forth about getting any fill (read my last post). So here are all the things my doctor said I'm not doing right:

1 - Drink water. Yeah, I know I'm supposed to, but I'm not drinking the recommended 64oz. a day. Not only does it help with my skin elasticity as I lose weight, but he said it also helps to metabolize fat. Hmm. Whether or not he's right, more water won't hurt me!

2 - Eat breakfast. I told him that I usually have just a protein shake for breakfast, and he told me that's absolutely not acceptable. He explained that protein shakes are to be a supplement to my diet, not in place of a meal. He suggested I eat my three square meals (breakfast should be something like oatmeal to kick start my metabolism and brain activity for the day), a snack, and protein shakes/water in between meals. Let's see if I can do it!

3 - Eat fruit - at least one serving a day. I totally don't. It's not that I don't like fruit, I just plan horribly when I work my 14 hour days. Luckily, summer and much more free time are coming way - focus on Joia time, eh?

The doctor suggested that the reason my brain is having such difficulty adjusting to the new capacities of my LapBand stomach are because it's not conditioned. He suggests eating the same foods every day for at least a month, for every meal, to train my brain that the quantity I eat is enough. It's an interesting theory, but with a 3 week vacation coming up, it's not going to happen most likely. I will begin focusing more on my diet, though, and starting to increase my exercise level. All in all, an interesting conversation, and a reminder that my vomiting/sliming issues are my fault (which I knew).

4 comments:

  1. The shake thing boggles me a little cause in the morning its liquids only...i love my oatmeal but it can get stuck! Whadddya think ladies??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same place...but I suppose I'll try it! Of course, today I just woke up (yay for sleeping in!), and I'm about to hop in the shower and head straight out with a friend for lunch...so no breakfast today! But, as late as I'll probably stay up? I'll still get three meals in :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had oatmeal once for breakfast and it took me almost 30 minutes to get it down. I'm so tight in the morning that I can usually only have my protein shake or scrambled eggs. My hubby keeps telling me that I should eat a normal breakfast and then have a shake mid morning when I'm normally hungry. I hate doing this though because that I end up going over my 1000 calories for the day. But I notice a HUGE difference on the scale if I get my water in. Chug it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH my goodness, I thought I was the only one. I have 9.8cc with a 14 cc band. I am still having have trouble listening to my band. Thanks for this blog!

    ReplyDelete