Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Scale is FINALLY moving again...

Today I weigh 311.4 pounds, down almost 27 pounds from where I started at the beginning of 2010. That puts my average weekly loss at 3.46 pounds according to my FitDay program, and that ain't bad! I had a talk with a friend yesterday about how frustrated I am...I want to be skinny NOW and I want to have restriction NOW and I want, I want, I want. He, as a former Biology teacher, reminded me that I'm doing this the healthy way. The LapBand didn't permanently alter my insides, and by doing everything I'm doing (drinking lots of water, eating better foods in the right portions, exercising, etc.), I'm doing quite well for my body and to maintain this weight loss long-term.

I've heard patients can expect to lose 100 pounds in a year. I understand that a year is a long time, and that in less than 1/6 of a year, I'm down a little over a 1/4 of the expected weight. I'm sure there will be many more stalls in this process as I watch the scale stand still and go up/down around the same few pounds. I just have to remember that putting all of this weight on took a LONG time, and that taking it off will take a LONG time as well.

For overweight people, food is a priority in life. We gorge because the feeling of "overfull" is comfortable. We don't eat to the point where we feel "yup, I'm not hungry anymore." We eat to the point of "ugh, I'm gonna be sick...but those french fries were SO worth it!" It's been a radical change for me to adjust to just being satiated, and to change my daily activities away from the overconsumption of food. It's still bizarre to me to sit down and have 4 ounces of water with a scoop of protein mix for breakfast...and be satiated until lunch. It's bizarre to me to think of what I consumed yesterday and know that I was full enough all day - the entire day's food content was usually what I'd eat in one meal. While I enjoy seeing the scale go down, a lot of the weight loss process after the LapBand is really analyzing the mental picture, and being okay with how my brain is changing in order to help the LapBand help me.

I may or may not reach my goal of 50 pounds by Spring Break, and I think I'm okay with that. My friends are noticing weight loss in my face, and another told me she notices the weight loss in my upper body...it's good to hear that! While I smile at the small victories on the scale, I can't wait to meet the girl I'll be in 2011! But, I know I must wait...this is a lifelong journey, not a sprint to the checkered flag.

3 comments:

  1. I found your blog from LabBand Talk and I hope you don't mind be "stalking" you! I really enjoy reading your blog! I think that you've done really well in your accomplishments, I hope that I can do as well as you have! Congrats again your weight loss and journey to a new life! --Mary

    I just started my weight loss blog. I got my band yesterday so I'll be keeping up on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You already are the girl you will be in 2011, you will just look different. You will still be a wonderfully beautiful, vivacious woman who is losing weight in a healthy manner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Stephanie bestie, The person you become's exterior may be shaped by the journey. But the you you'll be in 2011 is the Same lovely, Joia you've always been. Just with new experiences, and success accomplished.

    ReplyDelete